September 29, 2010

Cas-se-role

A casserole is a dish used both in the oven and as a serving vessel. It also refers to the food cooked and served in said vessel. So, how did the casserole get such a bad rap? I suppose it shares the connotations that I reserve for 'crock pot' and 'slow cooker' cooking: random, messy, unthoughtful and thrown together. Ah, but we're all wrong. I mean, I only want to make casseroles! Cooked and served in the same dish?! Genius for entertaining. Can always be made ahead of time? Check! Way ahead of time? Frozen? Yup. A simple salad completes the meal? Indeed. So I started redefining what a casserole is for me with this fresh, spicy, end-of-the-summer vegetable lasagna. One layer of each component, sandwiched between 'no-boil' lasagna noodles, takes away all of the 'lasagna is such an effort' drama. My layers: spicy marinara; ricotta mixed with egg and parsley; noodles; and a saute of zucchini, garlic, yellow squash, swiss chard and carrots. I was nervous that my casserole lacked a 'wow factor' until greg asked, " Is there bacon in this?" No...but I can't think of a higher compliment.
The Menu

fennel, lemon cucumber, spicy mixed greens, balsamic vinaigrette

layered vegetable lasagna
swiss chard, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash
spicy marinara, ricotta and basil

4 comments:

AMELIA ALVAREZ said...

I make this all the time! But I have never tried it with the ricotta. Nice twist!

Blue Egg Kitchen said...

You're right--lasagna typically does daunt me. I think of rolling the pasta, making the bechamel, the ragu, the ricotta, and I get overwhelmed. But this is a lovely, rustic version that I think I could actually execute on a regular day. Love it!

sportstotozonecom said...


"Thanks for posting this, it was unbelievably informative and helped me a lot. Well-written blog post.

slotplayground said...



I like the valuable information you supply for your articles

Post a Comment